Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Testing

It is 8:38AM on Wednesday, July 22nd. I am sitting in bed in my tiny West Village apartment ticking away on my laptop. I think I just started a new blog? I think this is my first post? 

The anxiety is starting to cease, as I have begun. I have thought about this for over a year now. Some people call that lazy. "A thinker, not a doer." But an idea needs direction. This idea finally has direction. It's finally tangible....virtually anyway.

I have NO IDEA what I am doing. But I do know what I want to write about. 

Restaurants. Specifically restaurants in Manhattan. Specifically restaurants in Manhattan below 14th Street. West Village, Greenwich Village, East Village, Soho, Tribeca, LES, Alphabet City, etc. And while many of them need no help, I feel the urge to share with others the experiences I have had and they CAN have, dining out in the aforementioned neighborhoods. 

Why? 

Well, oddly enough, I can almost always remember what I ordered at any given restaurant I have ever been to. I can describe the atmosphere in detail. Tell you how the hostess greeted us. Remember at which table I dined. And what the drink of choice was. It's weird. I critique. Without really trying or meaning to. It happens. My mind automatically and instantly takes note of my surroundings and my palate when dining out. I think about ways in which the restaurant could improve, how they could encourage more foot traffic, or make money at happy hour. I think about what I would do differently if I ran the restaurant. What the atmosphere would be like in my own (imaginary) restaurant, one day.

Again, it's kind of weird. 

But I believe this information is helpful when trying to choose amongst the millions of options we have here in the city. And I hate to be partial....but frankly, I prefer downtown New York. To dine downtown, to live downtown, to explore downtown. 

So, I have a niche. And to set this blog apart from other restaurant recommending websites or email blasts, I am commenting on the experience after dining there a few times. Not just simply stating the opening, showcasing the menu, or giving a bio on the chef. The reviews will be based on testing


2 comments: